Mix Vegetable Idli is a delicious South Indian snack recipe. It has a beautiful mix of veggies & a little spicy. Serve with any chutney or chilli sauce to make a distinct taste for snack time.
These spongy bites are first steamed and then fried with chillies, curry leaves, and mustard seeds.
One can explore idli in many ways and try various flavours to enjoy every time with a new flavour. Serve with any chutney like green garlic chutney or tomato onion chutney for a sour taste.
Moreover, it’s instant idli that you can make at home for unexpected guests & friends. Indeed, this Indian fusion recipe will outbreak the everyday Idli recipes and give you something unique and healthy.
They are full of veggies, instant, a little spicy, fluffy, and full of colours that even your kids will like the most. So enjoy Mix vegetable Idli and jam up at home with Desi breakfast.
What WE Are Using For Mix Vegetable Idli?
The ingredients will differ from the ones commonly used. Also, expect several vegetables as well.
- Gram Flour & Semolina – Both of these ingredients will be making the base for our idli. Idli is generally prepared with ground rice batter. But we are instead having a variation of it with semolina and gram flour to keep the idli firm even after using vegetables. However, if you want, you can use the readymade idli mix packet for the batter.
- Vegetables – We’ll be adding chopped tomato, carrot, capsicum, green peas, and grated paneer in this. In addition, you can add some more vegetables like french beans to the batter. They should have less water content and shall cook quickly.
- Spices – Lots of flavours are used in this recipe. For taste, we have green garlic and ginger garlic paste. Green chillies are to spice it up. If you want, you can use spring onions as well. And more spices if you like the heat from it.
- Curd – It will bring tanginess to the idli. But also will function in the fermentation for it.
- Eno Powder – We add it to ferment the batter because curd is not enough alone for that. It will also add to the softness and sponginess of the idli.
We are using mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chillies for frying. It will give a tempting aroma to our dish.
Preparing Mix Vegetable Idli
Once you have all the ingredients ready, the process of making the idli is straightforward and will be done in a jiffy.
We will be making the batter for the idli. To do that, we need to add suji, gram flour (besan), salt, capsicum pcs, tomato, green chilli, ginger-garlic paste, chopped green garlic, chopped carrot, green peas, chopped coriander, and curd to a large bowl. Then it needs to be mixed well.
Covering it with a lid, we will let it rest for 10-15 minutes. After that, we will be adding paneer to it and again mix it. Lastly, add eno powder with water. Then, remix it and keep it aside.
Now we need to ready the moulds for the idli. Using cooking oil, we will be greasing the idli mould. Fill a portion of the batter. Do not overfill them. You will have to steam it for 10-12 minutes.
If you are not sure that the idli is cooked, check it using a toothpick to know if the batter sticks to the toothpick, steam for a few more minutes. Then, the idli will be ready. Keep it aside to cool down.
Now for the frying part, heat oil in a pan on low flame. Add mustard seeds, green chillies, and curry leaves. Saute them until the seeds pop. Now place the idlis in the pan, and shallow fry them from both sides for a minute. The idlis are ready to enjoy.
Tips For Mix Vegetable Idli:
- You can use yeast for the fermentation of the batter 30-40 minutes before cooking. But then you have to use the batter at once.
- Baking soda and baking powder are not recommended as they cause the colour to be unpleasant, especially if the idli has turmeric.
- You can also add a pinch of asafoetida to the batter.
- We can use urad dal and chana dal for tempering. And dry red chillies are also ideal for that.
- Add a little bit of turmeric to get an excellent colour. But it is optional.
- If you are using a readymade matter, then it is advisable to cook the vegetables separately.
Some more idli recipes: