South Indian Style Curd Rice is a blend of a staple and comfort food of South India. It is a simple yet healthy and delectable rice dish of South Indian cuisine.
This South Indian Style Curd Rice’s actual name is Thayir Saadam, daddojanam, or bagala bath. This food is generally for putting as an offering to the Gods during Puja.
When you are not in the mood to cook or don’t have much time for it, this recipe is great to try. It is also great to keep cool in the heat of the summer. Moreover, this recipe is easy to digest so it can help in case of digestion disorder.
South Indian Style Curd Rice is a fuss-free and straightforward recipe. So it is an excellent recipe to silence your hunger pangs without much effort and time-wasting.
One can also take this for lunch at your workplace or school. Curd is great for keeping cool, and digesting, helps in weight loss, and has antioxidant properties. Hence, it makes this recipe is a perfect choice when you don’t want to have too much in your stomach. It is light on the stomach.
Why You Should Try This?
- It is one of the simplest meals with limited ingredients.
- This is a fuss-free recipe and takes very fewer effort.
- Curd rice is comfort food and healthy.
- It is light on the stomach and a filling recipe.
- Yoghurt is a natural coolant and brings down our body’s temperature.
- This is the best dish for summer as it prevents heat strokes.
- This recipe will provide calcium, protein, and other nutrients.
Tips For south Indian Style Curd Rice:
- Adding dry fenugreek will make it more aromatic and flavoursome. Also, you can temper ginger, green chillies, and curry leaves before adding them to rice.
- If the curd is too sour then add more milk. But if you don’t feel like adding milk to the rice then you can skip it.
- Use brown rice or other whole grain option to make this and the health quotient will increase significantly. Just adjust the water level accordingly. The rice should be soft and mashed.
- You can use plant-based curd and milk like Almond yogurt, coconut milk yogurt, or cashew yogurt to make this a vegan dish.
- Millets, oats, rolled oats, or broken wheat can also be an option to use for this recipe.
- You can use prepared boiled rice but it is always better to use freshly cooked rice as the leftover are not good for health.
- Make sure that before adding the curd the rice is cooked soft and mashed properly.
- Adding cold yoghurt to hot rice can curdle the curd. Hence, the rice should be at room temperature before you add curd to it.
- To make this more interesting you can add beetroot and make beetroot curd rice. Apart from this, add pomegranate pearls, raw mango pieces, grapes, tempered red chillies, and fried cashews. Some people also add grated carrots as well