Green Chili Pickle is a spicy, tangy, and flavorful Indian recipe. It is made with chili that is pickled with mustard and lemon juice.
Usually, people serve this chili pickle as an accompaniment to every Indian dish. It goes well with almost all recipes and enhances the flavor and taste of the meal.
Indians love to eat a pickle with food at any time. The most popular pickle is the mango pickle. But it is only available during summer.
There are other pickles that we make from carrots and lemons. Indians make it at any time of year. Similarly, we can make this chili pickle anytime.
Lemon juice use is optional in this recipe. You can add it as per the tanginess you want in the recipe.
The use of less hot or medium-hot chili is advisable. But it is always better to make it at home both for hygiene and taste purposes.
Store this pickle in a tight jar or container and keep it in direct sunlight. Pickle can be stored for weeks, and it is usable for a long time. You can eat this pickle even with fried dishes like pakoras.
Tips For Green Chili Pickle
- The main ingredient of a pickle and the container should always be pat dry. Both of these things must not have any traces of water or moisture.
- You can add fennel and cumin seeds to the tempering.
- Instead of tempering these ingredients, you can roast them on heat and make a powder before adding them to the chillies.
- Similarly, using the powder of these ingredients and adding turmeric, salt, lemon juice, and white vinegar will get you an oil-free version of this pickle. The shelf life will not be as long as the version containing oil though.
- Put the flame off before adding the green chillies and let them cook at the heat of the oil. This way the chillies will not be too tender but cooked.