Gur Ka Sharbat is the perfect summer drink and thirst killer. A traditional drink made with Jaggery. A drink that can be taken anytime. It has great significance in summer due to its soothing health benefits.
All you have to do is mix water and jaggery until it completely dissolves. Adjust sweetness by more or less jaggery according to your taste. Add some lemon juice for some tanginess and stomach coolant basil seeds. That’s it.
It is naturally good in vitamins and minerals. A complete summer drink that purifies the blood, regulates the functioning of the liver, and eventually keeps your body healthy.
I have my childhood memories with this sharbat. I have been drinking it since I was 3 years old. Was made during summers at our home and a must-have sharbat at our Iftar table.
My Grandma was a lover of Gur ka Sharbat and it was instructed to have it on the table for all 30 days of Ramadan. She used to tell that it helps you regain your energy.
Health benefits of Jaggery:
Jaggery is a substitute for sugar & is best for health as well. It helps in controlling your blood sugar. It keeps your body cool. After running your bike in the sun, this drink can surely make you hydrated.
- Boosts immunity.
- Detoxifies your body.
- Prevents your joint pain.
- Helps in digestion.
- Increases body metabolism.
Tips For Gud Ka Sharbat
- Soak the cubes of jaggery in water for around two hours to save you the effort of either grating or mixing the jaggery.
- You can melt the jaggery with some water on the heat. This creates jaggery molasses that can be stored for a few months. Use this to make a jaggery drink or as a sweetener.
- Don’t soak the basil seeds for more time or else they will turn sticky and gelatine-like.
- For more variation, you can add cashew, mint, cumin, and black salt to add striking flavor to the jaggery water. Soak them with jaggery and then blend until smooth. Some people even add basil to it.