Garlic Mushrooms are a staple dish with sautéed mushroom in butter. Moreover, the dish contains a dominant garlic flavour. Ahh! I love the smell & taste of garlic.
Let me tell you this. If it’s about mushrooms in the kitchen, there are always mixed responses.😐😐
Commonly, North Americans serve this as a side dish. However, you will find it more popular in steakhouses or chophouses. In other words, restaurants that specialize in steak or chops.
Therefore, we can call garlic mushrooms a North American recipe. Although, the origin of this dish is debatable. Because it matches French cuisine. As of now, we will dive into garlic mushrooms & enjoy.
What To Eat Garlic Mushrooms With?
Since it is a typical side dish, especially in a steakhouse, it goes without saying that it is excellent with steaks and chops. However, those who don’t eat steaks will consider them as main course items. Maybe they even skip it in the first place.
But worry not, garlic mushrooms go well with anything. Thus, please don’t limit yourself to eat it in a particular manner.
You can have them with bread, chapati, rice, etc. A step further, one can have garlic-loaded mushrooms for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Ingredients Of Garlic Mushrooms
The ingredients are simple here. You will not need to fuss about them.
We are using regular cooking oil here. But olive oil is more commonly used for this recipe. It is because olive oil will be little in amount. Similarly, sesame oil is also an alternative to using.
As the name suggests, this is the star ingredient in this dish. Commonly, button mushrooms are used in this recipe.
Majorly this is because they are of the same size and will all cook at the same time. Of course, we might be facing this problem with other types of mushrooms if we use them. But even then, it is okay to use other mushrooms than the button ones.
The show-stealer for the recipe. We are going to draw most of the flavour from it.
Chopped garlic will frequent in this recipe. So if you are going to do that, keep in mind not to use garlic that is too sharp in taste. You may not enjoy eating then.
It is an optional ingredient here. It is believed to enhance the flavour of garlic, hence included. But it is okay if you are skipping it. Or it is just adding a small amount of onion.
Salt & Pepper
These are going to be a constant in this recipe no matter what variation you make. However, we can adjust depending upon the other spices and if the butter is salted.
It is essential to make the base, sautèing & roasting of the ingredients. It is preferable if you use unsalted butter for this recipe.
Now, people seldom use this ingredient while cooking this recipe. Instead, the red colour is because of dry red chillies’ paste in the base or red chilli powder. But using it will give it a little kick in the flavours.
Other Ways To Make Garlic Mushroom
Well, this is one of the versatile recipes out there. You can experiment with it endlessly and will end up with a new dish.
One should try doing it at least once. Just don’t get carried away and end up with a combination that even you cannot bear to eat.
However, we do have some tried & tasted variations that are safe to eat. To help you out.
Garlic Mushrooms With Chicken
It will be like heaven for chicken & mushroom lovers. I mean, mushroom and chicken together; can it get any better?
People prefer chicken thighs for this. You will need to coat them with garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper, and some herbs before searing them on a skillet.
The remaining recipe will remain the same, excluding the onions, as we are already using the onion powder.
Instead of cooking it in a skillet, baking it is also an option. Grating cheese over garlic mushrooms is pure heaven.😍😍
Garlic Mushrooms With Asparagus
I am sure many of you must have scrunched your nose in dislike as soon as you read the name ‘asparagus’. But hold on before rejecting this idea because I can guarantee this is more flavoursome than you think it will be.😊
It is a side dish that goes well with chicken, pork, or salmon dishes. But you can have it independently.
Only salt & pepper are used to flavour it, keeping the garlic flavour heavily dominating instead. But you can add more spices if you prefer it that way.
Creamy Garlic Mushroom
The white gravy in this version gives a similar impression to that of a Bèchamel Sauce. However, it is only similar in looks and not precisely in taste.
You will be cooking mushrooms in melted butter and heavy cream here, along with the seasoning of red pepper and oregano. Parmesan cheese is recommended to add if you are a cheese lover but is optional here.
It will also be a great way to make chicken garlic mushrooms this way.
Following the methods for the above recipes, there are a few more variations you can obtain likewise.
- We can prepare this with bacon in a similar manner as we did with chicken. I am sure this will drive the American folks nuts behind, given they love eating both foods. Similarly, steak is also great to use.
- Another variation will be by adding chilli, vinegar, and soy sauce. It will make it more or less a Chinese version. A real treat for your taste buds! 😋
- Variations are not only limited to just chicken or meat. Salmon or fish fillets are delectable as well to go by. In parallel to this, more vegetables like bell peppers, potatoes, or baby corns are an option to use if you are a vegetarian.
- We can give this recipe a completely Indian twist also. Add some nigella seeds (optional), turmeric and red chilli powder, and chaat masala. You are going to enjoy it!
- Generally, rosemary, parsley, or thyme is the go-to herbs to put in this recipe. But any herb will do. (And if you are an Indian making this, I bet your hand will automatically reach out for coriander.)
- If you are not a fan of garlic, you can reduce the amount of garlic. Reduce the onions as well in a similar manner.
- Mushrooms can be sliced too before cooking if you do not want to cook them whole.
- White wine is not uncommon to use while cooking it. Or people enjoy it side by side with the dish. But it is alright if you don’t use it. It just reduces the cooking time immensely.
- If you do not want to cook the mushrooms in the pan, grill them in the oven. It will also reduce the cooking time.
- We are using tomato sauce here. But you can make the red sauce by blending garlic, red chillies, vinegar/lemon juice, and sugar.